Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Are You Pretty? Appreciating Your Body and All You Are Worth




Ok, I admit it. My last post was hardly uplifting. Frightening? Sure. Honest and to the point? Definitely. Necessary? Absolutely! It's my hope that it gave those of you who needed it a giant kick in the butt; that it helped you to recognize your own risk, by looking at Andrea's story. That perhaps it got you thinking about increasing your accountability and moving toward better self-care.

But it certainly didn’t leave you empowered to think more positively about your self, I suspect. So I'll try to remedy that with a couple of fabulous videos brought to my attention by the very same Doris Smeltzer, MA from Andrea's Voice http://www.andreasvoice.org. She brought me to tears (in her presentation about her daughter's life, and then death, from bulimia), but left me smiling in the end, empowered by these two awesome clips.

Please take the time to view them and share them with everyone you know. The first is of Eve Ensler, of Vagina Monologue fame, entitled Love Your Tree
I simply loved this perspective on viewing your body.

The second is of Kate Makkai, a poetry slammer doing Pretty http://youtu.be/M6wJl37N9C0
It's powerful in both its content and its delivery. I love the messages. 

Share these messages with your friends, your daughters, and most importantly, make them your own and take them to heart. And let me know what you think!



6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the videos. Be it the desire to be pretty, or worthy, there is a poignancy to it... in the need, that is, to love your body, yourself, to find your own self worthy! Not through superficial means... but by cultivating self-love, self-respect, self-worth.. To know that beauty is an inside job, not an outside job. Not something we just tell others, but something we really need to believe ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both videos were unbelievably powerful. What a way to start the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is exceptional - I wish I could get every girl and woman here to read.
    For the last two posts in particular, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speechless! Just speechless
    And you know that doesn't happen often...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are all finding it as powerful as I did! I only wish there were hundreds of responses like yours! Let's make it happen and spread the word, as Ophelia says, so every girl and woman will read it. And I might add, the men, too! I had my three males view it too; their attitudes ultimately impact the impact of the females in our society.

    ReplyDelete