Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My Selfish Post

A Picasso from the MOMA, NYC
One whole year, 80 separate posts, and numerous responses to comments and I’m still blogging.  Since entering this unfamiliar world I’ve acquired 163 followers (including Twitter and on site “Followers”), many virtual friends, and no doubt, many enemies, as not everyone agrees with my perspectives. I’ve learned as much from my readers and fellow bloggers as I have shared—of that I’m sure.

I’ve come to appreciate the blog community as a support group for readers, writers and my patients. And the blog (both mine and others I revere) has become a valuable resource to refer clients to, to help reinforce a point, to share a recipe, or a perspective, or mindfulness activities. 

Blogging began for selfish reasons. As I mentioned in an early post, I wanted to add support for a book proposal.  Through the twice-weekly posts, give or take, you’ve given me a lot of feedback. Now I’m revisiting the book idea—but with a different focus. 

And now I turn back to you. I’d love to hear more from you—my target readers—about what you value from these writings. 

No, I'm not writing a cookbook! 
But here's a view of part of my collection.
Do you have a favorite post or posts? Is there a message that sticks with you, that motivates you as you set out to meet your goals? Has this blog and its perspective shifted your perspective or your relationship with food at all?

If you could change anything about the blog, what would it be? I would so appreciate your guidance as I embark on my next stab at a book proposal. There, I’ve said it. Now I’ve got to work toward making it happen!

Thanks in advance for your help. Thanks for reading, for commenting, and for making me feel that it is worth the time and mental energy to pull off two posts a week, simply because it has moved a few souls to change and feel better. And thanks to my fellow bloggers and Twitter followers for their guidance, their promotion, their tweets and encouragement.

7 comments:

  1. Oh goodie...what do I want.
    First, I want you to move to Australia. Second, I want you to post everyday. Third, I want you to write a book - it would be awesome!
    Is that enough?? Seriously I love your blog just the way it is :) I love that you always take such a measured and thoughful approach to all these complicated and emotional problems. I love that your writing is inclusive for readers from the 30+ age group (with kids). So much of what I read is really aimed at younger women or women without the different challenges that parenting pressures throw into the mix.
    Thank you so much for your blog Lori - it has really made a huge difference to my recovery
    :)PJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually been exploring your blog as of late and I would say http://dropitandeat.blogspot.com/2011/02/where-bmi-goes-wrong-lessons-from-cupid.html is my favorite....

    I used to be in the military and they would do everything on BMI and waist measurement (except not your real waist, rather two fingers width above your hipbone) --- so my dear friend "R" who medals in marathons (aka top three in her age group) consistently used to have problems getting maximum points... why? Because she had so much muscle... and as you mention in that post, her shape (like a chocolate) was different and not conducive to their measures of fitness....

    I think calories and BMI are greatly misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came on board your blog several months ago and think it's excellent. Voices of reason such as yours seem to be increasingly few and far between. Please keep up the good work.

    I'd love to get your take on the "obesity epidemic" (I guess you can see by my words where I stand on the topic) and how you counsel people who come to you filled with often unnecessary or misplaced fear. And BTW, the Cupid-BMI post was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 2 favorite posts: the one comparing recovering from an ED to the circus, and the one that exposes the flaws in Weight Watchers and other "fad diet" cultural trends.

    I value the levelness and sanity that you bring in your approach to food; when I recognize that my own attitude towards eating is considerably distorted, I turn to your blog for a reality check.

    I would love to see more of your favorite recipes. Knowing that you, as an RD, eat this food, helps make it "safe" for me, so I'm more comfortable eating foods that I would otherwise consider risky or off-limits. I'd also love it if you would write about how non-disordered eaters can eat with people who are struggling/recovering from an ED, as there appears to be a disconnect there that I can never seem to bridge with friends and loved ones, which makes mealtimes even more stressful than they already are.

    Thank you for all of the wonderful work you are doing, Lori! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a fantastic writer (and photographer!) and am sure you would do wonderful writing a book! What I love most is the practical advice, the gentle approach.... I know "dieting" doesn't work, and I like the practical tips for life-style changes/things to do that can work, not just for the short-term, but for the long distance! I know I need to educate myself more about the topics you share on. Awareness is key to making changes! I like that there are no forbidden foods. Also, I like the reminders about portion control!! (An area I've struggled with!) Also the "mindful eating" ideas (not that I am always remembering to do this).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks you all for your supportive comments! I will be continuing to write these posts, encouraged by your words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the post about toddlers and dogs being grazers and very active and therefore not overweight. It has helped me look at my own eating and often times lack of hunger until I am famished and overeat. I love the post about calories being calories and carbs not being the evil that they are being portrayed or that I can eat after 8:30 at night! I simply love your common sense take on food and eating that is often lacking in todays weight conscious society. I too loved the "expose" on Weight Watchers and how they can get people into a dieting frame of mind instead of a move more be mindful of what you eat.

    ReplyDelete